THE NORTH BOTHNIA LINE
Creating opportunities for people and enterprise throughout Europe.
• Construction started 2018 for the first 12 kilometers (Umeå-Dåva).
• Planning for construction is ongoing between Dåva-Skellefteå.
• Planning is ongoing between Skellefteå-Luleå.
• Comprises 270 km of railway in northern Sweden
• Constructed for both freight and passenger traffic.
• Halves the travelling timesbetween the cities.
• Will only use renewable electricity.
• Is a priority project in the Swedish Bothnian Corridor collaboration.
• Secures the transportation of Europe’s raw materials.
• Increases trade and industry competitiveness and bolster skills provision.
The infrastructure has for a long time been neglected in the area and the EU has pointed out the lack of a railway link between Umeå and Luleå as a significant bottleneck in the European core railway network.
The North Bothnia Line and the entire Bothnian corridor is included in the core network corridor Scandinavian-Mediterranean, also called ScanMed. The corridor previously ended in Stockholm but was extended north in 2021 to Kiruna-Narvik and Haparanda-Oulu. The extension means a continued opportunity for co-financing from the EU in railway construction in Sweden.
Co-financed CEF-projects within Norrbotniabanan:
• Studies, railway plans and technical design, Umeå-Skellefteå (PDF)
• Detailed construction documents, Ytterbyn-Bureå (PDF)
Want to read more?
Please download this PDF
EU-funded planning phase for Norrbotniabanan completed successfully
Planning for the first stage of Norrbotniabanan (the North Bothnia Line), 130 kilometres of railway between Umeå and Skellefteå in Region Västerbotten, has been completed on schedule. The application to the European Union was submitted by Norrbotniabanan AB in partnership with the Swedish Transport Administration. The EU contribution was €10 ...
The North Bothnia Line and the entire Bothnian corridor is included in the core network corridor Scandinavia-Mediterranean, also called ScanMed.
The North Bothnia Line Groups objective is to gather and share facts as a base for information of the ongoing project North Bothnia Line, in order to inform decision-making actors.
The work of the Norrbotniaban Group is financed by the municipalities of Umeå, Robertsfors, Skellefteå, Piteå, Luleå, Boden, Kalix and Haparanda, Regional political body in Norrbotten county, Regional political body in Västerbotten county. Boliden Mineral, Smurfit Kappa, SSAB EMEA, SCA Munksund, Norrbottens Byggmästareförenings Fastighets, BILLERUDKORSNÄS, LKAB and StudentConsulting.
The North Bothnia line Ltd was established in 2008 by the Regional political body in Norrbotten county and Regional political body in Västerbotten county as well as the municipalities of Umeå, Robertsfors, Skellefteå, Piteå, Luleå, Boden, Kalix and Haparanda. With purpose to:
– Provide the continued work with a clear legal and organizational platform.
– Clearly highlight the seriousness of the region’s own ambition and commitment to implement the project.
THE NORTH BOTHNIA LINE GROUP
Skellefteå kommun, Samhällsutveckling, 931 85 Skellefteå, Sweden, firstname.lastname@example.org
THE NORTH BOTHNIA LINE LTD.
Svartuddsvägen 1, 941 85 Piteå, Sweden